This Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada is made with “zucchini tortillas” and it’s loaded with enchilada sauce, chicken and cheese. It’s also gluten-free and very flavorful!
I’m going to start this post saying that I LOVE this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe, just because I really DO. When I saw this recipe video on the Delish website I was a little skeptical about cooking enchiladas with zucchini. However, I thought it’s such a different recipe that I decided to adapted this recipe from Delish. I’m glad to say that it turned out amazing and my whole family loved it! My husband even repeated the plate and I liked so much that I’m now thinking that future enchilada recipes will be made with “zucchini tortillas”
I love this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada because it’s lighter than the traditional recipe and also the filling is AMAZING.
This is definitely a great twist on this Mexican dish especially now that is spring and soon summer! Zucchini is such a hit throughout these seasons. So, this is the perfect recipe to make these months.
Also, this is a good recipe if you have lots of chicken leftover in the fridge. To be honest I didn’t cook a chicken for this recipe. The day before I made this recipe I bought a roasted chicken at my local grocery store and we had it for dinner with some veggies. The next day I shredded the leftover and then I made this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe.
Of course any type of chicken meat works here. You can use chicken thighs, chicken breast and so on. I also think that if you have ground turkey in your fridge you can use too. It’ll work just fine. Also I used an enchilada sauce from a store bought brand just because it was faster this way.
I used two types of cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses) as well, which went perfect in this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe. Mm… So good! This is definitely the perfect recipe if you are on low-carb and gluten-free diets.
Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 c. Shredded chicken
- 1 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce, divided
- 4 large zucchini, (sliced with a mandolin or peeler)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Sour cream, for drizzling
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and salt.
- Cook until golden and brown. It’s about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, shredded chicken and 1 cup enchilada sauce.
- Stir well until combined.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin make thin slices of zucchini. On a cutting board, lay out four zucchini slices slightly overlapping. Then, add two tablespoons of chicken mixture on top. Roll up and transfer carefully to a baking dish. Repeat with remaining zucchini and chicken mixture.
- After that, use remaining enchilada sauce to top the zucchini enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes and until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and serve.