Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
All the flavors of Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie packed into perfect portable dessert for any occasion or season. � Best Ever Lemon Meringue Pie Bites….
- Homemade All Butter Pie Crust or 2 pre-made, ready to roll pie crusts
- 4 egg yolks + 1 egg for egg wash
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Filling : Whisk egg yolks in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, water, sugar and salt. Stir constantly over medium low heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and reduce the heat to low.
- Pour half of this mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Now, pour the “hot” egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Return to the stove and cook for an additional 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. Finally whisk in butter one tbsp at a time. Stir occasionally until cool. (Setting in the bowl and placing in a larger bowl of ice will speed this up.).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour (or use nonstick cooking spray) a mini-muffin pan. Set aside.
- Roll the dough or pie crust out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Using a round cookie or biscuit cutter (approximately 3 inches diamater) cut at least 24 rounds out ( or 12 rounds of each pie crust, if using store bought)
- Carefully press each round into the mini-muffin pan. Use your fingers to round the ends into a pie crust.
- Brush egg wash from one egg to the top edges of each pie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let the crust cool. Once cooled, use the tip of a knife to loosen the crusts from the mini muffin cups, but keep them in the pan.
- Spoon the lemon filling into each baked and cooled mini pie crust almost up to the top.
- Meringue: In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the cream of tarter and salt and gradually beat in sugar until glossy, about another 10 minutes. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and top filled mini pies.
- When ready to serve, preheat the broiler to high. Place mini-muffin pan under the broiler until the meringue is evenly toasted, about 2 minutes, or brown the merinque with a kitchen blow torch.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.