Italian Skillet Chicken with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Pat chicken cutlets dry. Season on both sides with 1/2 tbsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Coat the chicken cutlets with the flour; dust off excess. Set aside briefly.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet with a lid like this one. Brown the chicken cutlets on both sides (3 minutes or so). Transfer the chicken cutlets to a plate for now.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil if needed. Add the mushrooms and saute briefly on medium-high (about 1 minute or so). Then add the tomatoes, garlic, the remaining 1/2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 tsp flour. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring regularly.
- Now add the white wine, cook briefly to reduce just a little; then add the lemon juice and chicken broth.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then add the chicken back in the skillet. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and its internal heat registers a minimum of 165 degrees F.
- If you like, stir in a handful of baby spinach just before serving. Enjoy hot with your favorite small pasta like orzo and a crusty Italian bread!